Tap to call
(561) 627–7688


Health Certificate


NOTE: Due to the increasing and constantly changing requirements and uncertainty of government regulations, Dr. Fondren will no longer be issuing health certificates for the foreseeable future.


What do I need to travel with my pet dog, cat or pet bird to another state?

Most states require a:

  • Health examination and health certificate completed within 30 days prior to entry, signed by a Florida licensed and federally accredited veterinarian.

  • Requirements for current rabies immunization for dogs and cats may vary from state to state. You or your veterinarian can obtain up-to-date import information from the State Veterinarian’s offices – CALL them for any recent changes! A current listing can be found at:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_states.shtml .

Special requirements for quarantine are necessary if traveling to Hawaii – procedures to minimize the quarantine period requires testing for rabies immunity, and details can be found at:
It is also recommended to check well in advance with commercial air, train or ship travel companies that you intend to use, for any applications, fees and paperwork they may require.

How can I find out what I need to travel with or ship my dog, cat or pet bird to another country?

You will need to meet the requirements of the country of destination (or travel), which may include:

  • An application for import approved by their consulate,

  • An international health certificate from a Florida-licensed and accredited veterinarian,

  • Possible testing and vaccinations, and

  • Endorsement of papers by USDA/APHIS Veterinary Services veterinarian.

Information can be found at the USDA Export website:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_exports_pets.shtml ,
but your best source of assistance in Florida is to call the USDA/APHIS/VS Area Office in Gainesville, 352-333-3120, or the USDA Import/Export Center in Miami at 305-526-2926.

For dogs and cats, arrangements and paperwork for travel to rabies-free countries, such as the United Kingdom
, may take 6 months or longer, and may include, but not be limited to:

  • Microchipping (ISO microchip recommended, most microchips issued in the U.S. do not meet this specification). Fondren Pet Care Center carries ISO microchips.

  • Rabies testing (must be microchiped before rabies vaccination and a 30 day waiting period before testing, and a 6 month waiting period after a satisfactory rabies blood test).

  • The pet must be treated for ticks and tapeworms not more than 48 hours and not less than 24 hours before being checked in for transport. The tapeworm treatment must contain praziquantel.

  • Special import application, to avoid lengthy quarantine requirements. It is important to also check with your airline or cruise line for special requirements well in advance of expected travel.

Pet birds may require quarantine at ports of exit/entry, which may require fees and advance reservations.